October is here and we are stoked to have Eddie Turbo doing the 5th installment of the Exclusive Mix series. I've had the fortune of collaborating with Eddie Turbo (AKA Beau Lamontagne) on quite a few of projects, on all sorts of mediums including his label Gematria Records which he co-runs with Prince Zohar (AKA Preston Swirnoff) and I'm a big fan of his dubby DJ alter-ego. If you are ever in San Diego, make sure you check out his legendary Dub Dynamite mondays at The Office Bar alongside Dj Rashi. I hope you enjoy this mix as much as I did. As always stream or download for free. DUB! .... dub ... dub ... dub.
Eddie Turbo - Exclusive Mix | #005 by Dataset on Mixcloud
Who are you:
An editor, selector and philanthropist of good music, Editor Beau = Eddie Turbo.
Your big music dream:
Simply sharing music with new & old friends, and collaborating with like-minded artists in the San Diego music scene. And to see Schlachthofbronx perform live on a banging sound system.
Your favorite studio gear:
The custom dub box ("The Interceptor") constructed by Jon Erickson who runs Jayne's Gastro Pub with his wife Jayne and plays bass in the soul band The Amandas. Those bleeps and blips in the mix come directly from The Interceptor.
What artist in your scene inspires/motivates you:
Inspired mostly by San Diegans - Habitat Sound, Tribe of Kings Soundsystem, guitarist Jah Oil, The Real Matt Hughes, EshOne, Illuminauts, Low Voltz & Gears.
Life changing album:
Martin Campbell's Hi-Tech Roots Dynamics "West Kingston Dub" (big up to Dunning Butler for introducing me to this one)
Capturing a live mix or drum riddim or lick/hook rather than spending hours and hours laboring over a specific sequence usually feels better and usually sounds better. Happy accidents are the truest form of your artistic expression and will relate to the average listener much more than a "perfect" sound and sequence. This theory all goes to shit though if you can't actually beatmatch or play a drum beat or guitar/keyboard hook, so practice your musicianship and your talent will eventually shine through in the production. Garbage in, garbage out.
Something people don't know about you:
Before this whole deejay /SouCal thing happened back in 1999, I was a collegiate swimmer at the University of New Hampshire and played tenor sax in the high school jazz band.
Favorite food joint:
Craft & Commerce and of course Jayne's Gastro Pub
01. Protoje - Reggae Revival ft. Romain Virgo
02. Dr Israel - Slaver
03. Schlachthofbronx - One Hand ft. Puppetmastaz & Doubla J
04. Gappy Ranks - West Coast 05. Pupajim - Trouble Again
06. Twilight Circus Dub Sound System - Foundation Rockers ft. Brother Culture (Disciples Remix)
07. Ruben Da Silva, Murray Man, Manasseh & Placed - Sensi Skank
08. General Levy - Rub A Dub Session
09. Denham Smith - Rub A Dub Man
10. Collie Buddz - Ganja Pipe
11. Ramon Judah - Wheel
12. Rayvon - Selecta
13. Gregory Isaacs - Report
14. Dubmatix - Dub Me In Hand
15. Alborosie - Money
16. Bush Chemists - The Power ft. Kenny Knots
17. Stylo G - More Gangja ft. Warning (Oliver Twist Yard Remix)
18. High Tone - Rub-a-dub Anthem ft. Pupajim
19. Wrongtom Meets Deemas J - Late Night Dance
20. Habitat Sound - Chiva Still Talkin